Working in a grocery is a lot of fun. You meet all sorts of people. Young, old, babies, norwegians, brits, and even fire men!
For me, working as a courtesy clerk is a really humbling experience. I have pretty simple responsibilities- like bagging groceries, mopping floors, collecting baskets, fixing shopping carts, sweep, blah blah blah. Like I said! It's a humbling experience.
What I like most about the job is conversing with the customers. Most of them are friendly. However, some of the conversations I get into end up being pretty awkward. Awkward for me at least.
Here's a little look to what my conversations with my customers are like.
Me: Any help out?
Customer: No thanks.
Me: Okay, you have a good day now.
Me: Hello! How are you?
Customer: Good, and you?
Me: Tired. Can't wait to get home.
Customer: Are you sure you can carry that? Youre little.
Me: [looking at the huge-ass-heavy-box] Uhhh... yeah. I guess so. I have to. It's my job, dont worry about it.
Customer: You sure?
Me: Look. In Philippine standards I'm normal sized okay. You Americans are just big thats why I look little.
Customer: Oh.
Customer: Paper bags please!
Me: Oh SURRRRRE okay. [in my head I'm pissed because I know I'm just gonna get more paper cuts.]
Me: I can help you with that.
Customer: No its okay. I dont think you can reach it.
Me: [I look at the top shelf where she was pointing at.] Yeah you know what, I cant. I'm so sorry.
Me: Mangoes, huh? You know, the mangoes in the Philippines are REALLY good. The ones here suck.
Customer: Really now?
Me: [my eyes squint and I realize what I had just said infront of my floor manager] Well... I mean. Uhm... The mangoes here are good too! Its just... different.
-SILINCE-
Floor manager: Hahaha!
Me: Okay good, she laughed.
Most awkward things I say at work [most of the time I laugh at myself for saying them]:
1. Would you like me to bag your milk?
2. I'm just wrapping your eggs with plastic. Just in case!
So far so good, my job is okay. I have no ambition moving up to get a better position. I have school to prioritize. I only work for 'happy money', you know.
Speaking of school, I have 8 more days to go until classes begin.
HOLY SMOKES IM SO EXCITED.
August 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
Me: Hello! How are you?
Customer: Good, and you?
Me: Tired. Can't wait to get home.
HAHAHAHA!!!
Me: I can help you with that.
Customer: No its okay. I dont think you can reach it.
Me: [I look at the top shelf where she was pointing at.] Yeah you know what, I cant. I'm so sorry.
DUUUUDEE. this is soooo funny hahaha. you apologized pa! XD
"I'm just wrapping your eggs with plastic. Just in case!"
i love it haha
i love the one about the mangoes! i think i wouldve said the same thing! hahaha :P but i wouldnt have taken it back :P haha me and the mangoes miss you!
hahahahahahahha!!!! dude :))
"can i bag your milk?" hahahhaa!!!
im so proud and slightly jealous of your life na ah. congrats on your step towards full on independance!
mwah miss your face -auti
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Dude this is too funny na. I love the one about how you said you were normal sized and they were just big...haha super funny:D Have fun in school and work!
Hillarious and practical conversations. You write so well, Nica. =)
Oh my gosh. Wow. Thanks so much! I'm so flattened. haha!
HAHAHAHAHAHA! I love this entry. Soooo funny! :) Looks like you're having fun at work, Nica! :)
- Rehi
Oh my gosh. Wow. Thanks so much! I'm so flattened. haha!
nica...FLATTERED. why would you be flattened???:))
hahahahahahaha miss youuuuu
Iks. I know its FLATTERED okay! I'm not dumb haha. I'm trying to be baduy lang.
Me: Hello! How are you?
Customer: Good, and you?
Me: Tired. Can't wait to get home.
Haha, I love this, it's so awkward and random:)) Aw, I'm so excited for you Nica! I bet you're gonna have loads of fun as soon as school starts! I love youuuu! (:
Gel
nica :)) omg sooo funny! i love the one about the mangoes, the eggs and the normal sized ones. awkward nga :)) i can hear your voice in my head. i always have an awesome time reading your blog. thank you :) *big bear hug that squishes your lungs*
Realization: i cannot work in a grocery.
- girl who's way petite-er than you
:))
AWWW.:)) that made me laugh my ass off. haha.
hahaha, nica, you make it seem like your customers really care about you. hahahaha. but im sure you care about them... care enough to wrap their eggs at least. haha
when i visit you, id be the bitchiest customer. hahaha
Post a Comment